Saturday, January 24, 2009

Lake. Forest. Park.

If you're looking for what excites people who are seeking a place to live in this region, Lake Forest Park promises the trifecta of water, woods and public access. Unlike treeless developments with names like "Shady Pines," this north Seattle suburb is as advertised, and it also has a first-rate bookstore and gathering spot, Third Place Books. I'll be reading there on Tuesday, Jan. 27 at 7pm. I'm very much looking forward to it and I hope you can come.

Also, if you haven't read it, you might want to read the mostly--but not completely--negative review
Pugetopolis--received in The Stranger. It was written by Erica C. Barnett and, as she has in the past, she attacks my purported views on growth and urban density. Some of the disagreements are legit, others are straw men. She did find some positives in the book saying that (when I'm writing things she agrees with) my work is "pellucid and a joy to read." Guess which blurb is going in the ads!

I don't normally encourage anyone to read The Slog's comment threads because the view of humanity you get there might tempt you to head for the Aurora Bridge. But I thought the Pugetopolis thread, though with many opinions from people who are, well, full of it, turned into a fascinating discussion about the direction of Seattle, not always pellucid, but well worth reading. I'm please that Erica took the time and effort to give the book serious treatment, and further pleased that it sparked an interesting discussion.

No comments:

Post a Comment