Friday, January 16, 2009

U-Bookstore, KUOW and KIRO coming up


Just a quick note about a busy week coming up for Pugetopolis. First, though, I had a wonderful evening reading at Elliott Bay Book Co., a big crowd of new and familiar faces, very diverse, young and old. Some fellow "calumnists" were there, including civic treasure Joel Connelly of the not-dead-yet P-I and my Crosscut colleague Ted Van Dyk. Some former bosses too, like Mike Crystal, former publisher of Seattle Weekly and David Schneiderman, former boss of Village Voice Media. Former city council member Peter Steinbrueck was there too. He's the subject of a chapter in the book, by the way (and he still came!). Elliott Bay's Rick Simonson gave me a great intro and tells me the book is doing well. My thanks to Rick, the Elliott Bay staff and everyone who came.

This morning, I went off to KUOW-FM for my weekly gig on the media roundtable with Steve Scher and found that my fellow panelists this week were Joni Balter of the Seattle Times and Tim Egan of the New York Times. They're a wife-husband team that packs a lot of punch talent-wise, but I thought the chemistry was great and it was a chance to sneak-preview Tim's and my appearance together at Town Hall on Feb. 25th. It will be kind of a debate, though Tim and I are debating about how much of a debate it will be. Stay tuned for details.

The big thing, though, is that this will be a busy week for Pugetopolis. I'll be on Weekday with Steve again at 9am on Wednesday, Jan. 21 to talk about the book, the concept of Pugetopolis, and whatever Steve wants to cover, which with Steve, you never know. It should be fun. Some of the chapters in the book include commentaries I used to do on the show back at the turn of the century.

That same day, I'm scheduled to be on Dave Ross' popular show on KIRO-AM during the 11 am hour. Not sure I'll have any drive-by wisdom for the masses, but I'll give it a shot.

All that is a prelude to my next reading, which is that evening (Wed., Jan. 21) at 7pm at the University Bookstore. Like many other Seattleites, I have a deep attachment to the U-Bookstore (even though I never attended the UW--I'm not a Husky but a Geoduck), but as a reader, I literally grew up there. When my inner reading lamp was lit, the U-Bookstore felt like my personal trove and I looted it like Indiana Jones on meth. Please come if you can and we can talk about the U-Bookstore and other Seattle institutions that keep the city alive.

No comments:

Post a Comment